Re: CREATE SYNONYM ...

From: "Jonah H(dot) Harris" <jonah(dot)harris(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: "Stephan Szabo" <sszabo(at)megazone(dot)bigpanda(dot)com>
Cc: Hans-Jürgen Schönig <postgres(at)cybertec(dot)at>, "Tom Lane" <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>, "Michael Glaesemann" <grzm(at)myrealbox(dot)com>, pgsql-patches(at)postgresql(dot)org, eg(at)cybertec(dot)at
Subject: Re: CREATE SYNONYM ...
Date: 2006-03-09 15:46:55
Lists: pgsql-patches
On 3/8/06, Stephan Szabo <sszabo(at)megazone(dot)bigpanda(dot)com> wrote:

> You responded with a statement about synonyms having cost in response to a
> message of mine in response to a message from postgres(at)cybertec(dot)at which
> said "the costs will only be added if the "real table" is not found.
> therefore there is no impact on "normal" users." Your idea and that of the
> person who submitted this patch thus seem to be slightly different.

Yes, this is something that Hans and I would discuss about the patch.

I'd rather the feature follows the model you
> described (although I may have greater concerns of the cost) because it
> seems consistent with other lookups.

This is correct, for a synonym to be added, the cost for 1 synonym would be
the same as adding 1 more table/function/view/etc depending on the catalog
you're searching; I don't think it's too costly.  I'm going to start a new
thread to propose this clearly.

--
Jonah H. Harris, Database Internals Architect
EnterpriseDB Corporation