Re: CREATE SYNONYM ...

From: "Jonah H(dot) Harris" <jonah(dot)harris(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: "Jonah H(dot) Harris" <jonah(dot)harris(at)gmail(dot)com>, "Tom Lane" <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>, "Stephan Szabo" <sszabo(at)megazone(dot)bigpanda(dot)com>, "Jim C(dot) Nasby" <jnasby(at)pervasive(dot)com>, "Hans-J?rgen Sch?nig" <postgres(at)cybertec(dot)at>, "Michael Glaesemann" <grzm(at)myrealbox(dot)com>, pgsql-patches(at)postgresql(dot)org, eg(at)cybertec(dot)at
Subject: Re: CREATE SYNONYM ...
Date: 2006-03-08 01:12:02
Lists: pgsql-patches
On 3/7/06, Alvaro Herrera <alvherre(at)commandprompt(dot)com> wrote:

> Well, if you don't want to have a monstrous search path with 130+
> schemas, then you'll have a monstrous amount of synonyms.  Given that
> schemas are a way to separate the object namespace, it seems more
> sensible to me to propagate the user of reasonable search paths than the
> use of hundreds (thousands?) of synonyms.

Like I said, sometimes the user doesn't have a choice.   Sure, it's easy to
tell someone that has a 300-line PHP application to fix their code, but I've
worked with people who have hundreds of thousands of lines of code and they
don't just say, "gee, let's just search-and-replace everything!"; that's a
testing nightmare.

Also, there's *usually* not thousands of synonyms, usually tens or
hundreds.  Again, they are mainly used to easily reference objects which
exist in other schemas or where there are duplicate object names across
schemas.

--
Jonah H. Harris, Database Internals Architect
EnterpriseDB Corporation