Re: [GENERAL] info on people running postgre

From: Thomas Reinke <reinke(at)e-softinc(dot)com>
To: The Hermit Hacker <scrappy(at)hub(dot)org>, pgsql-general(at)postgreSQL(dot)org
Subject: Re: [GENERAL] info on people running postgre
Date: 1999-03-26 20:54:45
Lists: pgsql-general

The criticisms were pretty accurate overall, and to the point.

The Hermit Hacker wrote:

> On Thu, 25 Mar 1999, Juan Alvarez Ferrando wrote:
>
> > Hi,
> >
> > We have tryed PostgreSQL as the backend of a Java application used to
> > collect orders and other information. Everything would have been fine but
> > for the lack of row-level locking, and some problems with processes that go
> > hanged when locked for to long. Also we have experienced a couple of
> > corruptions on a table that suffers the deletion and insertion of 46000
> > records every day, and some sporadic and misterious backend crashes.
> >
> > Table-locking has forced us to quit from PostgreSQL and move to Oracle. So
> > if you need a read-only (or single user) database with moderate performance
> > (any comercial one is faster), PostgreSQL will probably give you what you
> > need in this other aspects: good SQL, ease of use and administration, really
> > thin JDBC type 4 driver; and you may find to need more of:
> >
> > Export/import tools
>
> pg_dump and psql

Insufficient. Does not dump and restore everything in the DB. I see
constant
complaints about this in these mailing lists.

> > Backend stability
>
> would love to see more information on this ..

Run a load test and longevity test. Enter the scenario with the mindset
of "I want to see what I can do to break this." I'll bet that if I
started
from scratch, I could crash any PGSQL implemenation in minutes, unless
you folks have done SERIOUS improvements since 6.3.2. (PS - a longevity
test is something that should take more than 5 minutes ;-))

> > Crash recovery

Consider transaction logging...

> > Programming interfaces doc.
>
> huh?

Well - how good is your overall documentation? API documentation does
exist,
but lots of other stuff is missing. Explain to me where I can find an
explanation of server error log entries, such as:

Failed Assertion("!(hctl->nkeys > 0):", File: "dynahash.c", Line: 564)
!(hctl->nkeys > 0) (0)

> Marc G. Fournier ICQ#7615664 IRC Nick: Scrappy
> Systems Administrator @ hub.org
> primary: scrappy(at)hub(dot)org secondary: scrappy(at){freebsd|postgresql}.org

Thomas Reinke Tel: (416) 460-7021
Director of Technology Fax: (416) 598-2319
E-Soft Inc. http://www.e-softinc.com