Re: info on people running postgre

From: Fabrice Scemama <fabrice(dot)scemama(at)gesnet(dot)net>
To: pgsql-general(at)hub(dot)org
Subject: Re: info on people running postgre
Date: 1999-03-26 18:32:04
Lists: pgsql-general
Hi

We are using PostgreSQL for an extranet project.
About one hundred small firms will have a Linux server,
and their own intranet (Apache, PostgreSQL, Perl CGI
using DBI). On a once a day basis, each linux box
connects to a central server (same config) and makes
an update.

The update is triple:
- Update the data: get what is new, send what has changed
- Update the CGI programs theirselves
- Possibly, get a patch and apply it so to update
  the structure of tables.

PostgreSQL is a nice tool to do this, as we can
schedule the ~100 updates/day. Our small businesses
don't need ultra-tuned and fastest database, and
could not afford them anyway. But we enjoy Postgres'
handling transactions so well.

We vacuum everything every day, and like Pg a lot.
Thanks to the developing community.
Go and use it with no fear!

Fabrice Scemama
Gesnet Consulting / Paris

pgsql-general by date

Next:From: Mauro BartolomeoliDate: 1999-03-26 19:26:49