Postgresql on Linux Redhat 5.2

From: Brian Eldridge <brian(dot)eldridge(at)conwaycorp(dot)net>
To: pgsql-ports(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Postgresql on Linux Redhat 5.2
Date: 1999-02-26 03:52:10
Lists: pgsql-ports
I'm trying to get Postgresql 6.4.2 working on my Redhat 5.2 box.
I'm running into the following problem when running initdb.  I did
have an older version of Postgresql that came with the system, but
I removed it.  Here's the error I'm getting ...

We are initializing the database system with username postgres
This user will own all the files and must also own the server process.

Creating Postgres database system directory /usr/local/pgsql/data/base

Creating template database in /usr/local/pgsql/data/base/template1
        syntax error 2305 : parse error
Creating global classes in /usr/local/pgsql/data/base

Adding template1 database to pg_database...

Vacuuming template1
Creating public pg_user view
mv: /usr/local/pgsql/data/base/template1/xpg_user: No such file or
Creating view pg_rules
mv: /usr/local/pgsql/data/base/template1/xpg_rules: No such file or
Creating view pg_views
mv: /usr/local/pgsql/data/base/template1/xpg_views: No such file or
Creating view pg_tables
mv: /usr/local/pgsql/data/base/template1/xpg_tables: No such file or
Creating view pg_indexes
mv: /usr/local/pgsql/data/base/template1/xpg_indexes: No such file or

Whenever I try to run postmaster now, I get this error:

Database system in directory /usr/local/pgsql/data is not compatible
with this version of Postgres, or we are unable to read the PG_VERSION
.  Explanation from ValidatePgVersion: Version number in file
'/usr/local/pgsql/data/PG_VERSION' should be 6.4, not 6.3.

No data directory -- can't proceed.

I'm using all the files that came with the distribution found on your
ftp site.  This is the file
I'm downloading:

Any ideas?

Brian Eldridge
ICQ# 12096724

pgsql-ports by date

Next:From: gregDate: 1999-02-26 10:47:18