SQL92 standard conformance [was Re: [SQL] OUTER JOINS in 6.4.2?? Work around??

From: "Ross J(dot) Reedstrom" <reedstrm(at)rice(dot)edu>
To: pgsql-sql(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: SQL92 standard conformance [was Re: [SQL] OUTER JOINS in 6.4.2?? Work around??
Date: 1999-02-25 19:05:30
Lists: pgsql-sql

Matthew Hagerty wrote:

> All I could find on the web site was that PostgreSQL supports a subset of
> SQL92 and SQL3. Is there someplace that tells what that subset is?

This is a very important question for PostgreSQL as a whole. Does anyone
know what is missing to claim SQL92 compliance? I can get my higher-ups
to agree that we should adopt software based on it's conformance to
existing standards, to avoid the proprietary lock-in problem. This is
usually my strategy for getting Open Source software in ;-) since it
conforms so much better (usually) When I discovered PostgrSQL is a
little short in that department, I've had to mumble and hand-wave a
little.

Some of us postgreSQL users could help the core developers a lot on
this. I'd love to see an extension of the DB comparison table on the web
page, with SQL standard features listed.

I realize the actual text of the SQL92 standard must be purchased, but
is there a 'bullet list' version anywhere? I can't seem to find one via
altavista.

Ross
--
Ross J. Reedstrom, Ph.D., <reedstrm(at)rice(dot)edu>
NSBRI Research Scientist/Programmer