Re: [GENERAL] Comments on tables, functions, etc.

From: "Ross J(dot) Reedstrom" <reedstrm(at)rice(dot)edu>
To: Michael Davis <michael(dot)davis(at)prevuenet(dot)com>
Cc: "PGSQL-General (E-mail)" <pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: [GENERAL] Comments on tables, functions, etc.
Date: 1999-02-25 18:48:46
Lists: pgsql-general
Michael -
I was just wondering this myself! I even dug into the source code, to
see if I could find how the comments get in there. Couldn't find any
existing SQL or psql command syntax, so I'm doing this:

template1=> \d pg_description

Table    = pg_description
+----------------------------------+----------------------------------+-------+
|              Field               |              Type                |
Length|
+----------------------------------+----------------------------------+-------+
| objoid                           | oid
|     4 |
| description                      | text
|   var |
+----------------------------------+----------------------------------+-------+
Index:    pg_description_objoid_index
template1=> select oid from pg_class where relname = 'fred';
  oid
-----
66464
(1 row)

template1=> insert into pg_description values (66464,'This is the table
fred') ;

INSERT 66473 1
template1=> \dd fred
description
This is the table fred
(1 row)

template1=>

--
Ross J. Reedstrom, Ph.D., <reedstrm(at)rice(dot)edu>
NSBRI Research Scientist/Programmer