Re: [GENERAL] Transaction logging

From: Thomas Reinke <reinke(at)e-softinc(dot)com>
To: pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: [GENERAL] Transaction logging
Date: 1999-02-23 16:54:47
Lists: pgsql-general

Don't use syslog under any circumstances!!!!

1. Syslog breaks up records longer than X number of bytes - you'd
have to piece them together.

2. Communication to syslog is over udp - (i.e. unreliable message
sends) thus message loss can occur.

3. All the other complaints about syslog already mentioned: additional
data added to the logs, etc.

Jim Mercer wrote:

> > This is a great idea. I have not been successful in tracking any
> > information on syslog. Any suggestions on where I might find some good
> > documentation on syslog?
> >
> > Just a quick thought, but how about using syslog? That can be used
> > to post queries to a remote server, and it can be told to store the
> > "postgres" stuff to a seperate file on that server.
>
> i don't know that syslog is robust enough for what you want.
>
> i don't think it has any error checking to verify that a message was
> received, etc.
>
> most BSD's and linux would have good refernce ports of syslogd, etc.
>
> --
> [ Jim Mercer Reptilian Research jim(at)reptiles(dot)org +1 416 410-5633 ]
> [ The telephone, for those of you who have forgotten, was a commonly used ]
> [ communications technology in the days before electronic mail. ]
> [ They're still easy to find in most large cities. -- Nathaniel Borenstein ]

Thomas Reinke Tel: (416) 460-7021
Director of Technology Fax: (416) 598-2319
E-Soft Inc. http://www.e-softinc.com