Re: [INTERFACES] Re: connecting: unix socket? Yes. TCPIP port? No.-i? Yes.

From: Bob VonMoss <bvonmoss(at)bigfoot(dot)com>
To: pgsql-interfaces(at)postgreSQL(dot)org
Subject: Re: [INTERFACES] Re: connecting: unix socket? Yes. TCPIP port? No.-i? Yes.
Date: 1999-02-10 07:23:27
Lists: pgsql-general pgsql-interfaces

Nothing's working, see latest developments at bottom.

Peter T Mount wrote:

> On Sun, 7 Feb 1999, Bob VonMoss wrote:
>
> > Tom Lane wrote:

> > > OK, that eliminates the "forgot -i" gotcha.
> > >
> > > James Thompson is almost certainly right that the problem is that
> > > Postgres' pg_hba.conf file is not set up to allow connections from
> > > whichever IP address you are connecting from.
> > >
> > > We heard about a similar problem recently which turned out to be
> > > due to use of "virtual server" IP addresses.
> >
> > The pgsql administrator put a line in pg_hba.conf that looks like this,
> > where my_db is substituted for my database name:
> >
> > host my_db 0.0.0.0 0.0.0.0 ident sameuser
> >
> > I'm still getting the same 'User authentication failed' messages. Same thing
> > from JDBC. Do I need access to the 'template1' table also?
>
> no.
>
> Is the machine you are running the java app or psql on running ident?

We've tried:
host my_db 0.0.0.0 0.0.0.0 ident sameuser
host my_db 0.0.0.0 0.0.0.0 password sameuser

Same messages: "User authentication failed"
I'm hoping that it will eventually work through JDBC, but it doesn't work with
psql -h my-isp.com -d my_db
where my-isp.com and my_db are substitutes for the real things. I'm running psql
on their computer when I telnet there. I don't know what ident is, but it's only
on their computer. 'password' didn't work either. I don't know what the problem
is. I'm exhausting my possibilities here. Yes, the postmaster is launched with -i.

I only created 'my_db' with the command 'createdb my_db' from a unix prompt on the
host. I don't have to run something like 'createdb -d dezines.com my_db', right?

--
Bob VonMoss
mailto:bvonmoss(at)bigfoot(dot)com