Re: [INTERFACES] pgaccess troubles with crypt

From: Constantin Teodorescu <teo(at)flex(dot)ro>
To: Paulo Ricardo Sikorski <paulo(dot)sikorski(at)mais(dot)sul(dot)com(dot)br>, PostgreSQL Interfaces <pgsql-interfaces(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: [INTERFACES] pgaccess troubles with crypt
Date: 1999-01-28 12:38:48
Lists: pgsql-interfaces
Paulo Ricardo Sikorski wrote:
>         I've seem messages with "crypt not included when compiling libpgtcl!!"
> title and I'm having  troubles with pgaccess.
> When pgaccess runs it reports the error below and abort execution.
> Error in startup script: couldn't load file "":
>  /usr/local/pgsql/lib/ undefined symbol: crypt

Old desease ... :-)

> I did the modifications in SHLIB_LINK in libpq's makefile including
> -lcrypt. The "gmake all" was sucessfull, and the installation process too.

This is the sollution but I cannot understand why it didn't worked for
Maybe it's a problem of confusing libraries and using by mistake an old
I understood that you used postgresql 6.3.2 from RedHat 5.0
I hope you previously delete *ANY* trace of postgresql-6.3.2 and it's
libraries and it's all files concerning postgres.

> I removed the Postgresql.6.3.x that came with RedHat (via rpm)

and postgresql-clients too (I hope).

> and got the postgresql-6.4.2.tar.gz
> The Postgresql is working and i get connection by psql.
> The ldd results for /usr/local/pgsql/lib/ and
> /usr/local/pgsql/ are below:
> ldd: warning: you do not have execution permission for `./'
> => /lib/ (0x40012000)
> => /lib/ (0x400b6000)
>         /lib/ => /lib/ (0x00000000)
> ldd: warning: you do not have execution permission for `./'
> => /lib/ (0x40015000)
>         /lib/ => /lib/ (0x00000000)

Very strange !!!!!
I suspect a bad install.
Are they ( and marked as execution (chmod a+x ?
Are they owned (as whole /usr/local/pgsql directory) by postgres user ?
Is postmaster running under postgres id ? That means launched by
postgres user ?
Finally, be carefull, postmaster should be launched with -i option in
order to offer connectivity for PgAccess.

Constantin Teodorescu
FLEX Consulting Braila, ROMANIA