Re: [INTERFACES] {Maybe not so OT} interface to MSsql server

From: Hannu Krosing <hannu(at)trust(dot)ee>
To: "Jackson, DeJuan" <djackson(at)cpsgroup(dot)com>, Antonio Mendez <antonio(at)unbol(dot)bo>, pgsql-interfaces(at)postgreSQL(dot)org
Subject: Re: [INTERFACES] {Maybe not so OT} interface to MSsql server
Date: 1999-01-15 14:02:25
Lists: pgsql-interfaces

Hannu Krosing wrote:

> Jackson, DeJuan wrote:
> >
> > > You may have some luck using SyBase client libraries, AFAIK the
> > > early MSSQL used the same protocols (was probably a port of SyBase)
> > I'm almost certain the MSSQL 6.5 was a port of Sybase 9.* or 10.*
> > And the Sybase drivers will connect with it.
>
> The FreeTDS drivers are at http://metalab.unc.edu/freetds/index.html

And they are planning a TDS Gateway - a program that provides TDS
(ie MSSQL and SyBase) clients with access to other databses, the
first one being - surprise! - PostgreSQL.

>From that on - maybe we could contemplate moving our FE-BE protocol
over to TDS. I suspect they are currently implementing much more of
ANSI standard SQL CLI than the current (IMHO not very elegant) protocol.

I have not looked at it, but I guess that they already have things
like prepare statements, standard binary format for data (which should
of course be made extendable for PGSQL), column bindings, getting
column info, and possibly other things needed to make effective
interactive client apps.

Hannu Krosing