Re: Amazon EC2 | Any recent developments

From: Just Someone <just(dot)some(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Amazon EC2 | Any recent developments
Date: 2009-06-15 19:11:54
Lists: pgsql-general

Hi,

I have more than a few Postgres instances on EC2. For reliability I
use EBS, and take regular snapshots while also streaming the WAL files
to S3. So far, the few times that my machine died, I had no issue with
getting it back from EBS or the EBS volume. I also take tar backups
every day, and I keep a few days back of tar, snapshots and WAL log
files.

If you require high performance you might have to look into the large
or XL instances, as their networking is a lot faster, and EBS is
accessed through the network. They also have a lot more memory.

I actually think that Postgres has a big advantage on the cloud, and
that's the ability to easily recover from crashes. Because of the way
Postgres commits to disk and work with WALs, there is much higher
chance of recovering the DB than most other DB servers out there.

Bye,

Guy.