Re: [INTERFACES] Money type mapping to VB5 Jet workspace

From: "Thomas G(dot) Lockhart" <lockhart(at)alumni(dot)caltech(dot)edu>
To: "Ken J(dot) Wright" <ken(at)ori-ind(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-interfaces(at)postgreSQL(dot)org
Subject: Re: [INTERFACES] Money type mapping to VB5 Jet workspace
Date: 1999-01-01 05:29:11
Lists: pgsql-interfaces

> This is also a problem with the BDE & also with libpq. The odbc driver
> could/should? fix this, but then what about libpq? The docs say the
> money type is going away someday. Should we avoid using it? I believe
> a proper fix involves both the backend & frontends. Forcing quotes
> around a numeric value throws everyone off. Developer comments?

We are just getting a NUMERIC() type implemented now by Jan Wieck. We
haven't had a chance to try it out yet, but Jan is one of our best
developers so it is likely to be a good replacement for the less general
money type.

It isn't yet certain that the very first implementation of NUMERIC()
will allow one to omit the single quotes around values, but it probably
will.

Barring unforeseen problems, it should be available for v6.5.

- Tom