Re: [INTERFACES] Can;t connect to db with pgaccess

From: Constantin Teodorescu <teo(at)flex(dot)ro>
To: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: Stan Brown <stanb(at)awod(dot)com>, PostgreSQL Interfaces <pgsql-interfaces(at)postgreSQL(dot)org>
Subject: Re: [INTERFACES] Can;t connect to db with pgaccess
Date: 1998-12-29 17:33:46
Lists: pgsql-interfaces
Tom Lane wrote:
> Constantin Teodorescu <teo(at)flex(dot)ro> writes:
> > Stan Brown wrote:
> >> Downloaded the latest pgacess. Looks pretty neat. Unfortunatley it will
> >> not connect to my 6.3 database.
> > PgAccess 0.93 will work fine on PostgreSQL 6.4 and higher.
> > Due to some enhancements made in libpgtcl, there is another option to
> > pg_result (-error) that does not exist in PosgreSQL 6.3.x
> I think Stan's problem is at a lower level than that: 6.4 libpq will not
> talk to a pre-6.4 server, period.  (It wants the 2.0 version of the
> FE-to-BE protocol, which the older servers don't offer.  The other way
> around, new server and old client, is no problem.)

There were a lot of messages that I received with this problem.
A lot of people have PostgreSQL 6.3.2 distribution working fine with
PgAccess 0.90 or prior, and when they upgrade to 0.93, it won't work.
They have the right libpq+libpgtcl couple for their postgres, but
libpgtcl prior to 6.4 does not have the -error option in pg_result.
> It'd probably be a more profitable use of your time to upgrade to
> a 6.4(.1) server.  My experience is that 6.4 is a good deal more
> stable than 6.3.x...

That's true.
I'm truly excited about 6.4.x and so on.
It gives me confidence and courage to work on big projects with it.

Constantin Teodorescu
FLEX Consulting Braila, ROMANIA