Re: Error correction for n_dead_tuples

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: ITAGAKI Takahiro <itagaki(dot)takahiro(at)oss(dot)ntt(dot)co(dot)jp>
Cc: pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Error correction for n_dead_tuples
Date: 2007-05-27 03:59:03
Lists: pgsql-hackers
I think this patch needs to be revisited in the light of the work I just
did to make pgstats correctly track the effects of aborted transactions.
It seems fairly likely to me that most of the problem you were seeing
was actually due to that stupidity, and not to race conditions between
VACUUM and concurrent transactions.  So maybe we no longer need to do
anything.

It might be worth fixing things so that a VACUUM sets n_dead_tuples to
the number of deleted-but-not-removable tuples it saw, rather than
always setting to zero as is presently done.