Re: pg_dump in stand alone backend

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Ulrich Wisser <ulrich(dot)wisser(at)relevanttraffic(dot)se>
Cc: Gaetano Mendola <mendola(at)bigfoot(dot)com>,pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: pg_dump in stand alone backend
Date: 2004-08-24 15:04:49
Lists: pgsql-general
Ulrich Wisser <ulrich(dot)wisser(at)relevanttraffic(dot)se> writes:
> I need to to disconnect any other users and do "vacuum full verbose
> analyze" "reindex database" and reindex all tables. And for these I will
> stop the postmaster and run a stand alone backend.

I think the real problem here is stone-age maintenance procedures ;-)
You shouldn't need to do vacuum full on a regular basis, and you
shouldn't need to do reindexing on a regular basis either.  Update
to 7.4, if you aren't using it already, and replace these procedures
by plain vacuums run often enough to keep the DB from bloating (a look
at your FSM parameters would be advisable too).

> I figured that doing a nightly backup would be a good idea and running
> it in stand alone mode will speed up the process drastically.

No it won't.