Re: [HACKERS] (stupid) bug in agg_select_candidate

From: "Thomas G(dot) Lockhart" <lockhart(at)alumni(dot)caltech(dot)edu>
To: David Sauer <davids(at)iol(dot)cz>
Cc: pgsql-hackers(at)postgreSQL(dot)org
Subject: Re: [HACKERS] (stupid) bug in agg_select_candidate
Date: 1998-12-23 07:00:27
Lists: pgsql-hackers

> I'm trying postgres 6.4.1 and I have problem with select command:
> > create table t( text_column text );
> > select sum( text_column ) from t;
> This command makes no sense, but causes crash in backend:

Thanks for finding this. It was in new code for automatic type matching
and coersion on aggregate functions to help implement aggregates for the
string types.

I've enclosed a simple patch which fixes the problem, and which at the
same time makes a nicer warning message as a result:

postgres=> select sum(c) from cc;
ERROR: Unable to select an aggregate function sum(bpchar)
postgres=> select min(c) from cc;
min
abc
(1 row)

Will commit to the cvs tree sometime soon; let me know if you have any
continuing problems. Good luck.

- Tom

Attachment Content-Type Size
parse_func.c.patch text/plain 832 bytes