Re: [GENERAL] Why PostgreSQL is better than other commerial softwares?

From: Clark Evans <clark(dot)evans(at)manhattanproject(dot)com>
To: Albert Chen <chen6178(at)hotmail(dot)com>, pgsql-general(at)postgreSQL(dot)org
Subject: Re: [GENERAL] Why PostgreSQL is better than other commerial softwares?
Date: 1998-12-17 09:21:56
Lists: pgsql-general
Albert Chen wrote:

> I tell my advisor to try PostgreSQL, but he said:
> "Why PostgreSQL is better than other commercial softwares?
> If you could give me ten reasons, and I will give it a try."

I'll give you one reason:

   Equal access to the source code.

This allows you to better learn from it
and also allows you to help debug it.  I've
been a professional Oracle programmer
for almost 6 years now.  I'm moving to
PostgreSQL....   When I have a problem
with this database, I can pull out the
code and fix it, extend it, etc.

When I have a problem with Oracle,
I have to pay thousands in "support"
charges (you can't afford to go production
without being on a silver or gold support
plan...) for me to help them solve their
problem .. without the benifit of the
source code. *sigh*  Then when we are done,
they implement the suggestions I gave them
and sell the improvements back to me!!
No more.  I've had it.

You don't need 10 reasons.  Independence
is the only reason any reasonable person
requires.

Good luck,

:) Clark