[Fwd: catalog files]

From: "Thomas G(dot) Lockhart" <lockhart(at)alumni(dot)caltech(dot)edu>
To: Vince Vielhaber <vev(at)michvhf(dot)com>, "Marc G(dot) Fournier" <scrappy(at)hub(dot)org>
Cc: Postgres Hackers List <hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: [Fwd: catalog files]
Date: 1998-12-15 20:32:20
Lists: pgsql-hackers

(taken on-list so this is indexed in mhonarc)

> Looking thru the freebsd sgml primer, they specify that
> SGML_CATALOG_FILES needs to be set.
> I find this to be true if I want to use PSGML mode in
> emacs, and if I want to run nsgmls when validating within emacs,
> otherwise it can't find the proper rules for parsing.
>
> Anyway the locations for the catalog files as per the primer:
> /usr/local/share/sgml/docbook/3.0/catalog
> /usr/local/share/sgml/html/catalog
> /usr/local/share/sgml/iso8879/catalog
> /usr/local/share/sgml/jade/catalog

Bingo. I can build docs on postgresql.org (a FreeBSD machine) using the
FreeBSD packages of the tools if I set an environment variable,
specifying these four paths delimited with colons:

setenv SGML_CATALOG_FILES
'/usr/local/share/sgml/docbook/3.0/catalog:...'

On my linux/rpm machine, I don't need to set this environment variable
at all (except for emacs parsing) since jade was built with the correct
default route to catalogs. Don't know why FreeBSD does not do this;
perhaps this should be written up as a "feature deficit" or bug?

- Tom