Re: [HACKERS] JOIN syntax. Examples?

From: Hannu Krosing <hannu(at)trust(dot)ee>
To: "Thomas G(dot) Lockhart" <lockhart(at)alumni(dot)caltech(dot)edu>
Cc: "PGSQL HACKERS (E-mail)" <pgsql-hackers(at)postgreSQL(dot)org>
Subject: Re: [HACKERS] JOIN syntax. Examples?
Date: 1998-12-14 19:10:52
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Thomas G. Lockhart wrote:

> > The book "The Practical SQL Handbook", which is often recommended on
> > these lists, uses the syntax `*=' and `=*' for left and right outer
> > joins (page 211). I think we ought to support this syntax as well,
> > since it will save new users from confusion.
>
> This one conflicts with Postgres' operator extensibility features, since
> it would look just like a legal operator.

so does =

Could it be possible to extend the operator extensibility features
to achieve the behaviour of outer/cross joins ?

> The two books I have at hand (besides my old Ingres docs) are A Guide to
> the SQL Standard by Date and Darwen and Understanding the New SQL by
> Melton and Simon. Both focus on SQL standard syntax, and neither mention
> the various outer join syntaxes accepted by Oracle, Informix, or Sybase.

Has anybody tried out DB2 ?

I have downloaded it (for linux) but have not yet tried it.

> An explanation for the lack of standards compliance by the big three
> probably involves the fact that they predate the standard by a
> significant number of years.

Not to mention that both =* and =(+) are more concise and easier to
follow, at least for one with my headshape.

The standard is probably the 'worst common denominator' or something
like that :(

Hannu