Cursor Movement - Past the End

From: David Hartwig <daveh(at)insightdist(dot)com>
To: PostgreSQL-development <hackers(at)postgreSQL(dot)org>
Cc: pgsql-interfaces <pgsql-interfaces(at)postgreSQL(dot)org>
Subject: Cursor Movement - Past the End
Date: 1998-12-07 19:19:18
Lists: pgsql-hackerspgsql-interfaces
We are in the process of implementing several additional Extended Fetch
capabilities into the ODBC driver.  In order to complete the full set of
functions, we need to be able to FETCH to the end of the cursor, detect
the end, and then be able to move to prior positions in the the cursor.
The problem is that once the end of the cursor is reached the cursor is
no longer usable.

I think the cursor should still be valid after moving past the end.  I
have tinkered around to see if the cursor can be preserved after
moving/fetching past the end without much luck.    I am throwing this
out to the list in the hopes that someone will respond "Gee, Dave, all
you have to do is (*^%^$$%$#!)".

I would greatly appreciate any assistance in resolving this problem.
Many ODBC components and applications make heavy use of these extended
features.

TIA.