Re: [INTERFACES] ORB API

From: "Thomas G(dot) Lockhart" <lockhart(at)alumni(dot)caltech(dot)edu>
To: Taral <taral(at)cyberjunkie(dot)com>
Cc: Aleksey Demakov <avd(at)gcom(dot)ru>, pgsql-interfaces(at)postgreSQL(dot)org
Subject: Re: [INTERFACES] ORB API
Date: 1998-11-17 03:14:56
Lists: pgsql-interfaces
> > I believe that ORBit is the best candidate, though it's not yet
> > complete and its ability to interoperate with other implementations
> > is to be proven. But unlike others it doesn't require egcs or
> > OS thread support (omniORB). It is intended for real work, not

Someone might want to try implementing, as an experiment and demo, a
Corba packaging of Postgres using libpq on the _server side_. That way,
we can demonstrate functionality, interfacing, and performance without
ripping into the backend directly until we understand some of the
issues.

So:

  app (applix?)--corba stub--(otw i/f)--corba server-- \
    --wrapper code--libpq--(postgres socket i/f)--backend

We might want some real wrapper code to make it a real object-oriented
API to fit best with Corba.

                        - Tom