Help! Not enough swap space?

From: Doug Hall <doughalldev(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: psql novice <pgsql-novice(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Help! Not enough swap space?
Date: 2005-07-13 20:35:35
Lists: pgsql-novice
When I perform an initdb, I get the following error. Assuming it get
the shared_buffers parameter is retrieve from the default
postgresql.conf file that it JUST created, how do I override this?

Could it be something else?

mu160:/usr/local/pgsql postgres$ sudo -u postgres initdb
--encoding=UNICODE data
The files belonging to this database system will be owned by user
"postgres".

The database cluster will be initialized with locale C.

fixing permissions on existing directory data ... ok
creating directory data/global ... ok
creating directory data/pg_xlog ... ok
creating directory data/pg_xlog/archive_status ... ok
creating directory data/pg_clog ... ok
creating directory data/pg_subtrans ... ok
creating directory data/base ... ok
creating directory data/base/1 ... ok
creating directory data/pg_tblspc ... ok
selecting default max_connections ... 10
selecting default shared_buffers ... 50
creating configuration files ... ok
creating template1 database in data/base/1 ... FATAL:  could not create
shared memory segment: Cannot allocate memory
DETAIL:  Failed system call was shmget(key=1, size=1122304, 03600).
HINT:  This error usually means that PostgreSQL's request for a shared
memory segment exceeded available memory or swap space. To reduce the
request size (currently 1122304 bytes), reduce PostgreSQL's
shared_buffers parameter (currently 50) and/or its max_connections
parameter (currently 10).
         The PostgreSQL documentation contains more information about
shared memory configuration.
child process exited with exit code 1
initdb: removing contents of data directory "data"
mu160:/usr/local/pgsql postgres$

pgsql-novice by date

Next:From: Diana NemirovskyDate: 2005-07-13 20:46:52