Re: [HACKERS] still Query Limits to 8K ?

From: "Thomas G(dot) Lockhart" <lockhart(at)alumni(dot)caltech(dot)edu>
To: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: Zsolt Varga <redax(at)agria(dot)hu>, PostgreSQL hackers list <pgsql-hackers(at)postgreSQL(dot)org>
Subject: Re: [HACKERS] still Query Limits to 8K ?
Date: 1998-11-13 19:41:06
Lists: pgsql-hackers
> One thing I do not know is whether we'd start to run into any
> hard-wired limits in the parser/planner/executor with very large
> (complex) queries ... Thomas, would the parser go down if you handed
> it a SELECT with a few thousand OR clauses?

I'm not recalling any specific limitation here. And if there is one,
then we should parameterize it so it is easy to find and easy to pump
up.

> I'd be willing to fix libpq and the backend as far as the parser input
> buffer, if someone else will take responsibility for looking at any
> hard-wired limits that might exist downstream of that.

Sure, parameterize everything (if it isn't done already) and then we can
try pumping it up and see what breaks. I'll push on any problems we find
deeper inside the backend.

                      - Tom