Re: [HACKERS] More CORBA and PostgreSQL

From: "Thomas G(dot) Lockhart" <lockhart(at)alumni(dot)caltech(dot)edu>
To: The Hermit Hacker <scrappy(at)hub(dot)org>
Cc: Michael Robinson <robinson(at)public(dot)bta(dot)net(dot)cn>, pgsql-hackers(at)postgreSQL(dot)org
Subject: Re: [HACKERS] More CORBA and PostgreSQL
Date: 1998-11-13 19:35:00
Lists: pgsql-hackers

> Why what Gnome chose vs what KDE is going with? *braces for
> political discussions* *grin* Then again, isn't the point of ORBs
> that you don't have to pick one...?

I lurk on the gnome mailing list because they are using SGML/DocBook for
their docs efforts, as we are. Don't know if what they chose is the same
as what KDE is using (assuming that KDE is using Corba stuff). afaik the
Gnome vs KDE discussion has been centered around the QT (graphics?)
licensing issue.

You do have to choose an ORB to work with (though perhaps it can be
fairly straight-forward to switch to another). However, the ORB you
choose should be able to interoperate with other ORBs on the wire, so
you can mix and match clients and servers developed separately with
different ORBs.

- Tom