Re: Crash while recovering database index relation

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Guy Thornley <guy(at)esphion(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-bugs(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Crash while recovering database index relation
Date: 2004-01-08 05:12:54
Lists: pgsql-bugs

Guy Thornley <guy(at)esphion(dot)com> writes:
>> That's what I'd expect if this scenario applies:
>> the pages will be fixed by WAL recovery, it's just that the recently
>> added check for broken page headers was interfering :-(

> What I don't grok is why all the affected files were indexes, and none
> of the heap files appeared to have junk pages

Hmmm ... that is mildly interesting, but it doesn't rise to the level of
warning bells in my head. At least not yet. Were the indexes involved
all on the same table, or different tables? If the former, it could
just be that that was the last set of changes to be flushed out after an
update of that table. If they were on different tables then it's a more
surprising coincidence. Could happen anyway I suppose --- index pages
are likely to be more heavily accessed than heap pages, and thus less
likely to get flushed out of the buffer cache.