Re: [HACKERS] A couple of questions...

From: "Thomas G(dot) Lockhart" <lockhart(at)alumni(dot)caltech(dot)edu>
To: nbastin(at)rbbsystems(dot)com
Cc: PostgreSQL-development <pgsql-hackers(at)postgreSQL(dot)org>
Subject: Re: [HACKERS] A couple of questions...
Date: 1998-11-02 06:15:50
Lists: pgsql-hackers

> 1) How much data can postgres handle? If I'm restricted by maximum
> file size in the OS, can I segment the data file, and if so, how many times?

I vaguely recall that Postgres has support for segmented files, but that
it has not been reported to have been tested recently. You probably
can't count on it working, but try testing and see.

> 2) Can I store the indexes for the database on a separate drive from
> the data itself? This is useful so that I can place the indexes on a
> solid state disk for fast searching, and leave the data on traditional
> medium.

Officially, no. If you have a fairly static database, you can create the
index, and then move it to another disk and create a soft link to it.
The Postgres server doesn't know about this directly, but can probably
be fooled.

> 3) Is there a maximum number of records per table? i.e., if I can
> segment the data file, can I still only have 2 gigs of data per table?

Don't know. Sorry.

- Tom