Re: Parsing config files in a directory

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Greg Smith <gsmith(at)gregsmith(dot)com>
Cc: Alvaro Herrera <alvherre(at)commandprompt(dot)com>, Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>, Magnus Hagander <magnus(at)hagander(dot)net>, PostgreSQL-development <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Parsing config files in a directory
Date: 2009-10-26 15:28:48
Lists: pgsql-hackers
Greg Smith <gsmith(at)gregsmith(dot)com> writes:
> I think the whole idea of making tools find duplicates and comment them
> out as part of making their changes is fundamentally broken, and it's just
> going to get worse when switching to use more config files.

Quite.  There seems to me to be a whole lot of solving of hypothetical
problems going on in this thread.  I think we should just do the
simplest thing and see how it works.  When and if there is some evidence
of people actually getting confused, we could consider trying to
auto-comment-out duplicate settings.  But I've never heard of any other
tool doing that, and fail to see why we should think Postgres needs to.