Re: [HACKERS] 6.4 BETA2 fails to compile on Digital Unix 4.0d

From: "Thomas G(dot) Lockhart" <lockhart(at)alumni(dot)caltech(dot)edu>
To: "Pedro J(dot) Lobo" <pjlobo(at)euitt(dot)upm(dot)es>
Subject: Re: [HACKERS] 6.4 BETA2 fails to compile on Digital Unix 4.0d
Date: 1998-10-29 14:35:30
Lists: pgsql-hackers
> I am testing 6.4 on a DU 4.0d system using DEC's (well, Compaq's) C
> compiler, gmake 3.75, bison 1.25 and flex 2.5.4, and I've found two
> problems.
> Any hints?

I'm guessing that you have a problem with having your "cpp" preprocessor
pick up input from a pipe (stdin). Just yesterday Tom Lane fixed that by
no longer requiring cpp or equivalent to do that. Can you look at your
configure results and verify that the conclusions it reaches about CPP
and CPPSTDIN are correct?

The two scripts which use it are src/backend/utils/Gen_fmgrtab.sh and
src/backend/catalog/genbki.sh. Go to src/backend/utils and type "make"
and see if files are made as you would expect. If there is a problem,
then perhaps Tom can send you new versions, or you can hand-modify them
yourself, or you can wait for a new beta. In Gen_fmgrtab.sh.in the new
code looks like:

42a43
> CPPTMPFILE=fmgrtmp.c
65,66c66,68
< $4 == "11"    { print; next; }' | \
< @CPP@ @CPPSTDIN@ $BKIOPTS | \
---
> $4 == "11"    { print; next; }' > $CPPTMPFILE
>
> @CPP@ $BKIOPTS $CPPTMPFILE | \
69a72,73
> rm -f $CPPTMPFILE

to have cpp read from file fmgrtmp.c rather than from stdin.

                         - Tom