Re: [HACKERS] make install fails in perl5 ...

From: "Thomas G(dot) Lockhart" <lockhart(at)alumni(dot)caltech(dot)edu>
To: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: pgsql-hackers(at)postgreSQL(dot)org
Subject: Re: [HACKERS] make install fails in perl5 ...
Date: 1998-10-27 21:00:30
Lists: pgsql-hackers

> Well, that should be true as long as you also get the subsidiary
> information that configure computes (locations of tclsh and friends,
> in the Tcl case). It is legitimate for configure to compute those
> because they are config info --- what if you have more than one
> version of Tcl installed? You need to be able to specify which one to
> use.

Sure. But if you have only one version installed, and if things are
located in about the right places, then configure should probably get
those things done even if "--with-tcl" is not specified. It would at the
same time set "USE_TCL" to false, which could be overridden later.

> I suggest that at this late stage we ought to concentrate on making
> sure that the standard configure/install procedure works smoothly.
> It's too late to worry about whether people's existing Makefile.custom
> will work smoothly --- and I'm not sure it's reasonable to expect a
> Makefile.custom to work just because it worked with some prior
> version, anyway.

I agree, and wasn't advocating that my old Makefile.custom must continue
to work unchanged. It just helped me notice the other problems sooner by
hanging my usual, "should work easy" installation from a clean tree. And
again, it is sensitive to being a pristine installation; after the fact
it sort of repairs itself.

> > I suspect that the tcl/tk stuff doesn't quite work this way at the
> > moment, and that the perl stuff needs a bit of adjustment also. I'll
> > look at the ODBC stuff to get it in line if it isn't already.
> I'm not touching ODBC :-)

... anymore :) We currently have ODBC breakage in moving to the
Makefile.shlib. But we've already discussed fixing that. Should I just
give it a try, or do you want to see patches?

- Tom