New user questions re libpq++

From: Phil Romig <promig(at)acm(dot)org>
To: pgsql-interfaces(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: New user questions re libpq++
Date: 1998-10-18 23:02:00
Lists: pgsql-interfaces

I would appreciate some clarification regarding the C++ interface for
postgres. I am using postgres-6.3.2. The database lives on a linux box
but the applications I am working on need to run under several different
flavors of Unix (HPUX, Solaris, Linux).

The libpq++ source files all have Feb 13, 1997 listed in their header as
their source control date. However the man page in the same directory
is dated July 1995.

If anyone could shed some light on any of the following I would be very
grateful:

a) The man page does not seem to match the code at all. Is there a
newer man page (I noticed a request for documentation in the archives
but did not find a response).

b) Do I have the most up to date version of the pq++ library.

c) The header file c.h for libpq (which are included by libpq++) is
interacting with the version of the GNU standard stream library which I
have (gnu 2.8.x and egcs 1.0.2). The problem seems to be the prototype
for the function char* form(...). Both stream.h and c.h prototype a
function of with the same name and arguments. Is this a known problem,
and is there a fix? (it looks like it would be fairly simple for me to
change libpg's form to some other name, but I'd rather use a standard
fix if I can).

d) I have never looked at ODBC (and am not 100% sure I know what it is).
The applications I am working on are fairly straightforward. They
currently use at flat table style database (gdbm). I am looking for the
best interface to use to move these applications to postgres (where best
is a function which maximizes reliability and minimizes my learning
curve). The interface I use needs to be able to run on host different
from the one running postgres.

In the combined wisdom of the group should I (1) forget libpq++ and
simply use libpq (2) use libpg++ or (3) take the trouble to install and
learn ODBC?

Thanks very to everyone for their time.
Phil
promig(at)acm(dot)org