Re: [INTERFACES] Re: ... and here's another change.

From: Gerald Gryschuk <ggryschuk(at)scf(dot)sk(dot)ca>
To: Byron Nikolaidis <byronn(at)insightdist(dot)com>
Cc: PostgreSQL Developers List <pgsql-interfaces(at)postgreSQL(dot)org>
Subject: Re: [INTERFACES] Re: ... and here's another change.
Date: 1998-10-06 15:58:07
Lists: pgsql-interfaces
Doh! did it again.

Thomas G. Lockhart wrote:
> Yes, exactly. It's pretty neat, really, in that either configure routine
> will handle the build for that package. And for the integrated Postgres
> tree we can count on others being careful with that main build script,
> where a configure hidden down in interfaces/odbc won't get as much
> attention.

I don't want to sound harsh but you do realize this significantly
the flexibility we have to update just the odbc driver? With
its the package itself that gets to decide how it should be built. Just
as an example, lets say I have to add code in socket.cxx for Solaris,
a significant possibility, and maybe I need a HAVE_SOLARIS in the
config.h to turn that part of the code on. With AC_CONFIG_SUBDIRS I just
update the odbc driver's and files and it will
configure without any changes to the Postgres configure file. But if I'm
interpreting what your saying correctly than I would also have to
change the Postgres distribution's, an eventuality that I
don't relish.

Given that the odbc driver has many more ports, and therefore changes,
to be made before it catches up with the distribution I suspect there
may still be a few changes necessary in the configure files. It would
be nice if this could be updated independently of the distribution

Gerald Gryschuk(ggryschuk(at)scf(dot)sk(dot)ca)
Programmer Analyst
Saskatoon Cancer Centre