Re: Numeric version of factorial()

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Gavin Sherry <swm(at)linuxworld(dot)com(dot)au>
Cc: pgsql-patches(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Numeric version of factorial()
Date: 2003-08-01 01:37:44
Lists: pgsql-docs pgsql-patches

Gavin Sherry <swm(at)linuxworld(dot)com(dot)au> writes:
> 2) since we're accepting numeric arguments, the patch tests for floats. If
> a numeric is passed with non-zero decimal portion, an error is raised
> since (from memory) they are undefined.

There is a standard mathematical definition for it (gamma function,
IIRC) but this is probably plenty good enough for our purposes. I would
suggest though that you reject fractions before you short-circuit for
x <= 1.

> 3) I have not removed factorial([int2|int4|int8]), not their operator
> counterparts since I didn't know what people would want done with these.

We had already decided to nuke the int2 and int4 versions, since they
overflow far too easily. I'd go with nuking int8 too and providing only
the numeric variant ...

> + int8_to_numericvar((int64)1, &one);
> +
> + ret = cmp_var(&fact, &one);