Re: [INTERFACES] Postgres ODBC and SQL_BIT

From: David Hartwig <daveh(at)insightdist(dot)com>
To: leif(at)danmos(dot)dk
Cc: pgsql-interfaces(at)postgreSQL(dot)org
Subject: Re: [INTERFACES] Postgres ODBC and SQL_BIT
Date: 1998-09-02 16:59:29
Lists: pgsql-interfaces

leif(at)danmos(dot)dk wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> Excuse me for a newbie question.
>
> I am trying to make a PostgreSQL database that must be compatible with
> an existing M$Access database. I have some trouble figuring out what
> postgres type to use for SQL_BIT. I believe the Access type is called Yes/No
> (and is used for checkboxes.) I am also using this in a C/C++ program using
> ODBC. My C/C++ program correctly connects to an Access database with these
> fields, and I have tried both 'bool' and 'char' as types in the Postgres
> database, but none of them works. Is there a standard type for this or do
> I have to make my own (and if so, how?) ?

MS Access will not take any ODBC SQL data type and translate it into a check box.
Other tool may do this but not MS Access. Access only supports check boxes on
Access databases.

As for what Access it will do - The psqlodbc driver as options to treat postgresql
bools as SQL_CHAR (t/f) or or SQL_BIT. MS Access displays SQL_BIT as -1/0.

If you are not using the psqlodbc driver, you are on your own.