Re: [INTERFACES] Data types and binary data

From: "Thomas G(dot) Lockhart" <lockhart(at)alumni(dot)caltech(dot)edu>
To: Matthew Hagerty <matthew(at)wolfepub(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-interfaces(at)postgreSQL(dot)org
Subject: Re: [INTERFACES] Data types and binary data
Date: 1998-08-20 05:12:51
Lists: pgsql-interfaces

> Where can I find a *complete* list of postgresql data types? I have
> looked all over the web site and found what seems to be a partial
> list. I assume it to be partial because I see no reference to the
> text, name, filename, etc. types.

Hmm. I updated the User's Guide html document on the web site the other
day, and put tar files of the html in /pub/patches/*.tar.gz

Pretty sure I don't mention "filename" in the docs, but am certain I
talk about "text" and mention "name" in passing. Look inside the chapter
on Data Types, in the section on Character Types.

I also forgot to discuss the "oid" type; if there are any others missing
from the docs let me know. Others should speak up too if they see
omissions; that's "my" chapter :)

> Also, is there an equivilant of the CAE specification (1992)
> Extended-SQL data type binary(n)?

Don't know. What does it do? Is the same as a blob? If so, then you need
to use the large object interface.

- Tom