Error 'Named portals'

From: wojtek <wojtek(at)itl(dot)waw(dot)pl>
To: pgsql-interfaces(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Error 'Named portals'
Date: 1998-07-28 18:19:11
Lists: pgsql-interfaces

Hello,
I use PsqlODBC 6.30.0248 with Access97.
My problem is illustrated by an example:
I have an Access97 base 'mybase'. It is edited on PC
under Win95. After all I want to have it and its backup
in Postgresql on SunOS. I connect it by PsqlODBC. I put
two commands in 'Connect settings'(Advanced options - connection):

DROP TABLE mybackup;ALTER TABLE mybase RENAME TO mybackup;

At the very beginning the Postgresql base is empty. After connecting
the base 'mybase' should be copied into Postgresql.
On first connection I get the following notes in logs (#-s are my
comments):

ERROR: Relation mybackup Does Not Exist!
#I agree - this is correct. There is no relation 'mybackup' yet.
ERROR: Named portals may only be used in begin/end transaction blocks
#I don't understand it. What does it mean? What happened with
#rename operation? There should appear error message, because
#there was no 'mybase' base yet.

On disconnect the sent base 'mybase' appears in Postgresql. It is OK.

On second connection I get this:

ERROR: Relation mybackup Does Not Exist!
#I agree - this is correct. There is no relation mybackup yet.
ERROR: Named portals may only be used in begin/end transaction blocks
#Still can't understand.
ERROR: amcreate: mybase relation already exists
#It looks like the rename operation was not successed and this is
#the reason for this message.

My question:
1.What does this message mean:
ERROR: Named portals may only be used in begin/end transaction blocks
Is it the reason of failing the rename operation? How can I avoid it?
2.(not question but suggestion)I think it would be a good idea to
equip driver with the ability of running SQL commands just before
disconnection from Postgresql.

BTW, I want to thank Byron Nikolaidis for quick response and useful
patch.

Thanks in advance
Wojciech Pietron