Re: [INTERFACES] JDBC JAVA interface

From: "Stephen Lombardo" <LombardoS(at)Mail(dot)Montclair(dot)edu>
To: Peter T Mount <peter(at)taer(dot)maidstone(dot)gov(dot)uk>
Cc: "pgsql-interfaces(at)postgreSQL(dot)org" <pgsql-interfaces(at)postgreSQL(dot)org>
Subject: Re: [INTERFACES] JDBC JAVA interface
Date: 1998-07-21 16:37:56
Lists: pgsql-interfaces

Peter T Mount wrote:

>>Thinking about it, you could take a look at the Swing component set. Ithas a Table
>>widget which I think can handle ResultSet's.
>>--

>>Peter Mount (at work) peter(at)taer(dot)maidstone(dot)gov(dot)uk or peter(at)maidstone(dot)gov(dot)uk
>>If you mail me here, please cc my home address peter(at)retep(dot)org(dot)uk

Thats true, but you can add flexibility and a higly reusable interface for database work
simply by using a canvas. It is a lighter weight component and you can come up with an
editable display with little trouble. By passing the result set to the canvas constructor
you can use the metadata to create column headers, and the custom grid for each result set
that is passed. this means that your component can be pointed at ANY database and based
upon the result set and metadata you will get a custom table on which you can update rows,
individual cells, or delete entries on the fly. with this option you can implement a simple
refresh function which will update the graphic display when desired to reflect new data in
the table. also, by using RMI and passing an AppletContext you can redirect the client
browser to custom made html tables that include only the information the client is looking
for. A similar effect can be attained using a perl cgi script and the perl postgresql
inteface. Using the get method you can pass the query string to the cgi script and generate
printable tables of the desired information. The other bonus of this scheme is that because
your display is a canvas it is highly relocatable. you can put it in a scroll pane , add it
to a panel within an applet that dispays within the frame of your web browser, or do
anything else with it that you desire.

It might be quicker to use swing or even the packaged classes for ptplot as Cyril was
planning on doing, spending the time to create your own diplay pays off in the long run with
its customizability, portability, and its flexable interface.

===
Stephen J. Lombardo
Java Programmer/Network Technician
Montclair State University