Re: [INTERFACES] Applixware ODBC Interface

From: "Thomas G(dot) Lockhart" <lockhart(at)alumni(dot)caltech(dot)edu>
To: Byron Nikolaidis <byronn(at)insightdist(dot)com>
Cc: "Cary B(dot) O'Brien" <cobrien(at)access(dot)digex(dot)net>, pgsql-interfaces(at)postgreSQL(dot)org, "leif(at)danmos(dot)dk" <leif(at)danmos(dot)dk>, Steve Logue <stevel(at)mail(dot)cdsnet(dot)net>, Uwe Schroeder <uwe(at)CHT(dot)de>
Subject: Re: [INTERFACES] Applixware ODBC Interface
Date: 1998-07-18 05:27:31
Lists: pgsql-interfaces

> > 1) There is, in the postgresql distribution, a win32/win16 ODBC
> > driver. This would have to be converted to compile under unix, since
> > it is written in microsoft C.
> Guess what, it already has been ported for iodbc on unix! From the
> feedback I have received, it works fine on unix. There are some very
> minor issues that will eventually be corrected.
> The nice thing about this is we have one driver that is maintained
> centrally that is able to support both windows and unix.
> See http://www.insightdist.com/psqlodbc. The source release contains
> all the necessary files (makefiles, readme, etc).

OK, I'm not familiar with the stuff, but iODBC is the interface which
Applix prefers to support in the future (as opposed to the DB-specific
"4-slot" interface Uwe and Cary had worked on earlier).

I will have access to the data-enabled Applix 4.4.1 beta in a few days,
and will try to bring up the iODBC interface. If I could impose on folks
to help get that interface up and running, and to do any bug-fixes, then
we have a shot at making the Applix distribution. Of course, that isn't
critical since we can install the driver after the fact, but it would be
nice to be represented in the as-shipped configuration...

Byron, are there any folks who have reported success with your iODBC
driver available for consult?

btw, the Applix beta distribution is over 500MB, presumably because it
has a lot of debugging and symbol stuff still in it.

- Tom