Re: [INTERFACES] Applixware ODBC Interface

From: Byron Nikolaidis <byronn(at)insightdist(dot)com>
To: "Cary B(dot) O'Brien" <cobrien(at)access(dot)digex(dot)net>
Cc: pgsql-interfaces(at)postgreSQL(dot)org, "leif(at)danmos(dot)dk" <leif(at)danmos(dot)dk>, "Thomas G(dot) Lockhart" <lockhart(at)alumni(dot)caltech(dot)edu>, Steve Logue <stevel(at)mail(dot)cdsnet(dot)net>
Subject: Re: [INTERFACES] Applixware ODBC Interface
Date: 1998-07-17 14:39:54
Lists: pgsql-interfaces

Cary B. O'Brien wrote:

> My understanding of the ODBC business is, at best, incomplete. The
> facts as I know them are...
>
> 1) There is, in the postgresql distribution, a win32/win16 ODBC driver.
> This is a dll that compiles for win32 that (as I understand things)
> maps odbc calls to the postgresql frontend-backend protocol, which
> runs over a tcp/ip connection to the postgresql server.
>
> This seems to be self-contained, and does not seem to use any of
> the other interface libraries.
>
> This would have to be converted to compile under unix, since it is
> written in microsoft C.

Guess what, it already has been ported for iodbc on unix! From the
feedback I have received, it works fine on unix. There are some very
minor issues that will eventually be corrected.

The nice thing about this is we have one driver that is maintained
centrally that is able to support both windows and unix.

See http://www.insightdist.com/psqlodbc. The source release contains
all the necessary files (makefiles, readme, etc).

Byron