Re: [GENERAL] ERROR stat failed on file <path to objectfile/objectfile>

From: "Gene Selkov, Jr(dot)" <selkovjr(at)mcs(dot)anl(dot)gov>
To: Konstantinos Vassiliadis <vassilik(at)p22(dot)cs(dot)man(dot)ac(dot)uk>
Cc: pgsql-general(at)postgreSQL(dot)org
Subject: Re: [GENERAL] ERROR stat failed on file <path to objectfile/objectfile>
Date: 1998-07-16 17:12:51
Lists: pgsql-general

Konstantinos Vassiliadis wrote:

> Hi,
> I created a datatype dealing with phone numbers just to test the
> particular Postgres facility.
> I compiled the source independently of Postgres and run it independently,
> too.
>
> Then, I registered the input and output functions with Postgres and
> created the type using CREATE FUNCTION and CREATE TYPE respectively.

I assume you realize that nothing happens when you register a function
with CREATE FUNCTION. It simply sets the path to your object.

> However, when it came to insert values into the table columns the
> following came up:
>
> ERROR: stat failed on file /home/M97/acs/vassilik/protein/phone.o

At this point, it attempts to actually use the object. You will get this
error in two situations:

1. When the path is incorrect, i. e., there is no such file

2. The file exists but it does not contain a shared object

Based on your description, I think you are dealing with the cause (2).
Look into

..../pgsql/src/tutorial/Makefile

for ideas how to build a shared object on your system.

--Gene