Re: Recent updates

From: "Thomas G(dot) Lockhart" <lockhart(at)alumnus(dot)caltech(dot)edu>
To: Bruce Momjian <maillist(at)candle(dot)pha(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: hackers(at)postgreSQL(dot)org
Subject: Re: Recent updates
Date: 1998-07-15 17:06:42
Lists: pgsql-hackers
> > > What does 'select null order by 1;' do now?
> you can do a NULL test there and prevent oper() from even being
> called.

postgres=> select null order by 1;
?column?
--------

(1 row)

There are three or four cases in transformSortClause() and I had fixed
only one case for UNION. A second case is now fixed, in the same way; I
assigned INT4OID to the column type for the "won't actually happen"
sort. Didn't want to skip the code entirely, since the backend needs to
_try_ a sort to get the NULLs right. I'm not certain under what
circumstances the other cases are invoked; will try some more testing...

Off to work now :)

                      - Tom