Re: Out of memory problem with VB 5.0

From: Byron Nikolaidis <byronn(at)insightdist(dot)com>
To: Sbragion Denis <infotecn(at)tin(dot)it>
Cc: "pgsql-interfaces(at)postgreSQL(dot)org" <pgsql-interfaces(at)postgreSQL(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Out of memory problem with VB 5.0
Date: 1998-06-13 17:34:14
Lists: pgsql-interfaces

Sbragion Denis wrote:

> In the meantime if you have VB 5.0 installed you can test it yourself:
> open VB 5.0 and select Add-Ins -> Visual Data Manager (the famous
> VisData!). Select File -> Open Database -> ODBC and fill the form with your
> preferred PostgreSQL DSN entry and connect to the database. After this
> click on the + sign of any table in the database window and click on the
> "fields" icon. The first time you click on it you get the Out of memory
> error. After this everything work fine (except for getting the index list).
> The same things happens the first time you put a SQL statement in the SQL
> statement window and you click execute.

I discovered the problem. The driver incorrectly requires that a query be executed
prior to binding column data. Most applications do it that way so it has not really
been a problem. Visdata, binds the columns first, which the driver didn't allow.
This has always been an incorrect behavior of the driver and has been in there since
day 1! Just yesterday, I corrected another problem with binding columns also. I
believe and hope we may finally now have the correct implementation of SQLBindCol!

This also fixed the problem with getting an index list in VisData.

Since this is at the heart of most odbc applications, and I have made a significant
change in the way bindings can be allocated now, I want to do some testing before I
release this one.

I have also added driver errors to the commlog file so that it will be easier to
figure out these types of problems in the future. "Out of Memory" didn't help at
all. If this feature would have been in there, the log file would have said something
like "Bindings can not be allocated without executing a statement first." which would
have been dead on.

Byron