Re: Row-level lock

From: Vadim Mikheev <vadim(at)krs(dot)ru>
To: jerome doucerain <jerome(dot)doucerain(at)chu-nimes(dot)fr>
Cc: David Hartwig <daveh(at)insightdist(dot)com>, pgsql-hackers(at)postgreSQL(dot)org
Subject: Re: Row-level lock
Date: 1998-06-09 15:47:06
Lists: pgsql-hackers

David Hartwig wrote:

> Everyone especially Vadim,
> I agree with Marc. Row locking is huge. In my user community, it is
> unacceptable to wait for up to 30 minutes (or even one minute) for a report to
> finish so that a users can commit an invoice or commit a change to a customer
> attribute. I can deal with it for now because my databases are batch loaded
> for reporting purposes only. However, I plan to go forward with some pretty
> important projects that assume that record/page locking will exist within the
> next 12 month or so. Am I being too presumptuous?

This is my old posting:
---
Subject: Re: [QUESTIONS] Locking tables ?
Date: Sat, 25 Oct 1997 00:40:37 +0700

Well, low-level locking is claimed by me for very long time (one year)
and still isn't implemented. This is my plan:

6.3: remove time-travel and re-design transaction manager
(to speed up things and make transaction id allocations
serialized)
6.4: implement shared system cache (to speed up things and
get synchronization of some (many) things)
6.5: low-level locking (with all 4 transaction isolation levels
implemented)

Note that low-level locking implementation will use 6.3 and 6.4
features above... And non-overwriting feature of postgres.

Also note that this is "optimistic" plan. There are many another
things to do ...
---

Transaction manager was not re-designed in 6.3 - I hope
to do this in 6.4 (and shared catalog cache too)...

Taking into account our 6.4 release date (1 Oct), 6.5 (with
low level locking) should be released ~ 1 Mar 1999.

Vadim