Yoga

From: Kaare Rasmussen <kar(at)webline(dot)dk>
To: pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Yoga
Date: 1998-06-08 09:31:23
Lists: pgsql-general

Would someone who's been using PostgreSQL for production use like to do
some advocating in the Yoga (or Gnuotes) project?

Yoga is a project meant to build a Notes killer.

The general feeling seems to be to use SleepyCat DB, which I've never
heard about before. The Web Page tells that it's in reality Berkeley DB,
a very simple file construction, not at all what I consider a database.
Back when I programmed Cobol, it was just indexed files...

I think the main problem is that people doesn't know how far PostgreSQL
has come. In my eyes, the only thing missing could be hot backup, but I
don't know for sure. Also there's the question of reliability (up time).

Personnally, I'm not sure how PostgreSQL will handle documents (that's
what Notes / Yoga is about), as I believe that BLOBS are poorly
supported, but perhaps the developers of PostgreSQL would accomodate
Yoga in this matter.

A big problem for SleepyCat is in my eyes that it doesn't support SQL at
all!

Yoga can be found here: http://samba.anu.edu.au/yoga/
The database web page: http://samba.anu.edu.au/yoga/team/datastore/
And the discussion is taking place here: yoga-list(at)samba(dot)anu(dot)edu(dot)au

(I'm not on this list right at this time, so please send replies
directly to me)