Re: [INTERFACES] M$oft Win95, ODBC and 'crypt-ed' Passwords

From: Paul Roberts <paul(dot)roberts(at)trinity-bris(dot)ac(dot)uk>
To: Byron Nikolaidis <byronn(at)insightdist(dot)com>, pgsql-interfaces(at)postgreSQL(dot)org
Subject: Re: [INTERFACES] M$oft Win95, ODBC and 'crypt-ed' Passwords
Date: 1998-06-08 07:35:31
Lists: pgsql-interfaces

Byron Nikolaidis wrote:

> Paul Roberts wrote:
>
> > ODBC is working fine. However, I'm none-too-keen on routinely sending
> > unencrypted passwords over the Internet link between the different sites
> > at the moment of connection.
> >
> > It also offers crypt / decrypt, which UN&X/Linux could offer, but is
> > there a M$ en-crypting solution?
> >

> Currently, the odbc driver can't handle the encrypting passwords option of
> authentication.
> When the request comes back from postgres to encrypt the password with the
> "salt", the driver will just error out, saying that authentication type is
> not supported. Same for kerberos 4/5 authentication.
>
> I hope to add encrypted passwords someday.
>
> I noticed the jdbc driver has some encryption algorithm built in. Can
> someone please elaborate on that, like where did you get it, or did you
> write it, etc??

OK, that's fine. I gather what you have in mind is that the driver would do
the crypting - neat!

BTW the driver is great! As a complete newbie in both postgreSQL and ODBC
terms, I got it up with no pain. (The only glitch was needing to run
postmaster with -i, which subsequently looking at this list seems to be an old
chestnut.)

Paul