Re: [INTERFACES] M$oft Win95, ODBC and 'crypt-ed' Passwords

From: Byron Nikolaidis <byronn(at)insightdist(dot)com>
To: Paul Roberts <paul(dot)roberts(at)trinity-bris(dot)ac(dot)uk>
Cc: pgsql-interfaces(at)postgreSQL(dot)org
Subject: Re: [INTERFACES] M$oft Win95, ODBC and 'crypt-ed' Passwords
Date: 1998-06-05 17:57:11
Lists: pgsql-interfaces

Paul Roberts wrote:

> ODBC is working fine. However, I'm none-too-keen on routinely sending
> unencrypted passwords over the Internet link between the different sites
> at the moment of connection.
>
> It also offers crypt / decrypt, which UN&X/Linux could offer, but is
> there a M$ en-crypting solution?

Currently, the odbc driver can't handle the encrypting passwords option of
authentication.
When the request comes back from postgres to encrypt the password with the
"salt", the driver will just error out, saying that authentication type is
not supported. Same for kerberos 4/5 authentication.

I hope to add encrypted passwords someday.

I noticed the jdbc driver has some encryption algorithm built in. Can
someone please elaborate on that, like where did you get it, or did you
write it, etc??

Byron