Re: [PORTS] Postgres team wants to keep PostgreSQL working

From: "Thomas G(dot) Lockhart" <lockhart(at)alumni(dot)caltech(dot)edu>
To: mdt(at)mdt(dot)in-berlin(dot)de
Cc: pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: [PORTS] Postgres team wants to keep PostgreSQL working
Date: 1998-05-29 02:18:35
Lists: pgsql-general

> > Use the "createuser" command as the Postgres superuser:
> > $ createuser mdt
> wow! how did you know THAT? (i am just a stupid beginner & would like
> to see that command in the README, which is really great btw).

Ah, was nothing really *polishes fingernails on lapel* :)

There are extensive docs in several places, but I would like to think
that the html/hardcopy docs first appearing in v6.3 are the best and
most complete (that is true for many cases, but some info is still
elsewhere for now).

Anyway, install the online docs and start reading. There is a tutorial,
a user's guide, an administrator's guide, and some programmer's
resources. To install the docs, go to the doc/ directory which is at the
same level as src/. From the "make install" directory do a

$ cd ../doc
$ make install

Then point your web brower at

file://localhost/your_path_to_postgres/doc/postgres/index.html

and go from there.

Good luck, and have fun with it...

- Tom