Re: [HACKERS] Current sources?

From: David Hartwig <daveh(at)insightdist(dot)com>
To: Bruce Momjian <maillist(at)candle(dot)pha(dot)pa(dot)us>, pgsql-hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgreSQL(dot)org>
Subject: Re: [HACKERS] Current sources?
Date: 1998-05-26 18:44:04
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Bruce Momjian wrote:

> I was wondering, should the patch be:
>
>         if (j->jf_cleanTupType)
>             tupType = j->jf_cleanTupType;

> rather than my current:
>
>         if (operation == CMD_SELECT)
>             tupType = j->jf_cleanTupType;
>
> Not sure.

The second option (your earlier suggestion) seems to be necessary and sufficient.   The junk filter (and
jf_cleanTupType) will always exist, for SELECT statements, as long as the following is not a legal statement:

        SELECT   FROM foo GROUP BY bar;

Currently the parser will not accept it.  Sufficient.

The first option will set tupType, for non-SELECT statements, to something it otherwise may not have been.
I would rather not risk effecting those calling routines which are not executing a SELECT command.  At this
time, I do not understand them enough, and I see no benefit.   Necessary?