RShared libs under RH5 - resent

From: Lincoln Spiteri <lincoln(dot)spiteri(at)st(dot)com>
To: "pgsql-admin(at)postgresql(dot)org" <pgsql-admin(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: RShared libs under RH5 - resent
Date: 1998-05-13 15:34:46
Lists: pgsql-admin
Hello all,

I am trying to compile postgres 6.3.2 on my linux machine (RH 5) but for
some reason only static libraries are built. I have tried adding the
--enable-shared or --with-shared switches when running ./configure but
these are obviously ignored (can't find any reference to them in
configure). I have also specified the linux-elf template.

Postgres still compiles smoothly but then fails during initdb when
shared libraries cannot be found. I have verified that there are no *.so
files in the installaion directory (/opt/pgsql/lib) or any other lib
directory for that matter.

Am I missing somthing fundamental here. I have been compiling all sorts
of stuff but I never had such a problem before. Any guidence would be
greatly appreciated.

Regards

Lincoln Spiteri

pgsql-admin by date