Re: [INTERFACES] MS Access & PsqlODBC: Invalid field name 'name'

From: Hannu Krosing <hannu(at)trust(dot)ee>
To: Ewan Mellor <em(at)nexus(dot)co(dot)uk>
Cc: PostgreSQL Interfaces <pgsql-interfaces(at)postgreSQL(dot)org>
Subject: Re: [INTERFACES] MS Access & PsqlODBC: Invalid field name 'name'
Date: 1998-05-12 14:53:05
Lists: pgsql-hackerspgsql-interfaces
Ewan Mellor wrote:

> I am using Byron's ODBC driver (version .0239 downloaded today) with
> Access 7.00 under Win95 with Postgres 6.3.  I am trying to link tables
> into Access.  Most tables work fine, but any field with the name 'name'
> or 'sortname' or even 'garbagename' may not be used as part of an
> index.  This occurs whether the index is picked up automatically by the
> driver, or if you are asked to choose a unique field by Access.

Starting from v2.0 of Access the worn "name" became kind of reserved
word in Access, as the table itself aquired an _attribute_ name, which
contains the name of the table.

so having a field called name is a problem in anyway (for Access).

I have no idea why "sortname" or "garbagename" does not work.

> Can this be fixed?  As a workaround, could the driver optionally not
> tell the client application about indices?  In this way, I could tell
> Access to ignore them and then (I think) I would be able to get at my
> data.

you can still do

ALTER TABLE yourtable RENAME name TO not_name_any_more;

Hannu